Sunday, January 29, 2012

Reuben Sandwich


Sometimes just an idea for dinner is all you need. I don't think a simple sandwich qualifies as a recipe but it is a great weeknight dinner that never fails. I'm not a huge fan of the fatty corned beef that is on the traditional Reuben and my hubby hates sauerkraut so we changed the classic sandwich just a bit. I buy the 97% fat free corned beef by Dietz and Watson from the deli. If your deli doesn't have this brand I am sure they have something similar and instead of using sauerkraut I use coleslaw that I make the night before. I find the best way to make these is on the George Foreman but you could use a panini press if you have one or even heat on the stove. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 pound low fat corned beef from the deli
Loaf of rye bread
Swiss cheese (1 slice per sandwich)
Thousand Island dressing, as desired
Prepared coleslaw
Spreadable butter, as needed

Directions:

Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread. Place butter side of bread down on heated grill.

Top with desired amount of corned beef and a slice of swiss cheese. Top with other piece of bread butter side up. Close grill or sandwich press and heat until cheese is melted and bread is crispy.

Remove sandwich from grill and add desired amount of coleslaw and thousand island dressing.

No comments: